St. Stephen Church Histroy
HISTORY OF ST. STEPHEN’S PARISH
1940 Fr. Stephen Peil became pastor of St. Catherine Parish, Sharon, WI in the Milwaukee Diocese. His area of service stretched from Lake Geneva-Fontana to six miles east of Beloit. Services were held once a month, October through April, above business places in downtown Clinton.
1945 Church services once a month all year long in Clinton.
1948-70 Became mission of St. Catherine Parish, Sharon WI. Pastor was Fr. Stephen Peil and Mass was said weekly in chapel located at the end of Allen Street near the railroad depot.
July, 1970 Fr. Gerard Healy assigned to the new Clinton parish. He resided at the rectory at OLA.
Parish was incorporated into the Madison Diocese and became known as St. Stephen’s Catholic Church.
80 families established a building committee.
Groundbreaking ceremonies were held January 14 with Bishop Cletus O’Donnell present.
1973 First services were in September .
1975 Fr. Patrick Swendrowski, principal of Beloit Catholic High School, came to Clinton. In June, 1982, Fr. Pat became full-time pastor.
1976 Building committee for a new parish house was established. Completion of the parish house was in May, 1977
.1977 June 12, the new house was blessed and dedicated.
1982 Parish begins to look to the future of its new parish center.
1987 September 20 marked the dedication of the 10,000 square foot Family Center.
1999 Fr. Pat, pastor for 24 years, died unexpectedly.
2000 Fr. Thomas Fitzgerald (Fr. Fitz) appointed pastor of St. Stephen’s.
2008 Fr. Sanctus Ibe replaces Fr. Fitzgerald as pastor. Fr. Ibe is pastor until June, 2010.
2010 Fr. William Connell appointed as pastor.
2011 Rectory roof replaced through donations to cover the entire cost as well as labor
.2012 St. Stephen’s celebrates forty years as a parish.